Saturday, March 15, 2008

What is art? Are we art? Is art art?

During my break a few weeks ago, Krista, Andee and I went downtown with some friends to see the Art Institute of Chicago. I love art and I was having a blast seeing all the famous paintings I learned about in art class. Let me give you a tour.
This one is untitled by Pablo Picasso. Flashes weren't allowed but I forgot for this picture.
This is a really famous one by Picasso called The old Guitarist. What makes this one so cool is when you look at it really close you can see the shape of a woman that Picasso painted over.
This is one of my favorite pieces of art. The painting is by Georges Seurat and is called A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. The painting is huge and it is all little dots of paint, no paint strokes at all.
Every body recognizes this painting. It is by Grant Wood and it's called American Gothic. This is mine and Krista's best impression. We're the ones on the left.

2 comments:

scollier said...

It was good to hear from you. I see that you haven't lost your sense of humor over the years! I do still love to read and do so whenever I get a chance but with three little ones it is not that often. I think that my baby and Andee are only a few weeks apart. Abigail was born on the 28th of Nov. When was Andee born? It is good to catch up with you. Take care.
Suzanne

Julie M. said...

How fun to go see those famous art pieces! Your title reminds me of this awful philosophy class I took, all about what is art? GAG! :) Are you guys staying here this summer? If so, can we come visit?